Sunday 9 February 2020

The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein

This one was very popular a few years ago, and I even had it on my shelf ready to read. Then, in a fit of "who wants to read about a dog who likes racing cars?" I gave it away.   Silly girl, because some time last year I spotted a comment that made me want to read it, so I put it back on my wish list, and last Summer a kind book fairy sent it to me. So Glad!    Some years ago I read Fluke, by James Herbert which I liked - again because the dog told the story, but this is the superior read, I feel.

Enzo is a dog who believes in reincarnation, and in his next life he is certainly coming back as a human.  To this end, he explains why he understands human speech whilst most other dogs just have the usual (sit, fetch, bad dog etc.).  Denny his owner,  has a day job, but when he can, races cars. He and Enzo have spent a lot of time watching movies about racing and recordings of Formula 1 races. Denny also has a wife and a little daughter, and Enzo tries to look after all of them - sometimes it's not possible and thereby hangs the tail (sorry, tale!). And then something very sad occurs, and circumstances change.   Enzo is always there, showing support as best he can, which is sometimes difficult when all he can manage is a tail wag or a bark. But inside his head, his vocabulary is massive! He'll tell you all about his and his family's life, and you may need to blow your nose towards the end. I loved this. Enjoyed the read so much.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Early One Morning - Virginia Baily

I was attracted to this novel purely by the cover (as I suppose this is meant to happen!) and it has very little about the contents on the b...