Wednesday 17 April 2013

Baby Pea Soup

I had some friends for lunch yesterday, and decided on baby pea soup.  I got clean dishes, and smiles, so I think this was a hit, and so easy to do.  This is one of those recipes that you might call "store cupboard food", as most of the ingredients I always have around the house.

This will make 4 good servings depending on the consistency you choose (I got 5 out of mine!)


I x largish leek. Don't use the green end (You can save that and make leek and potato soup another day!!)
I x  medium sized potato peeled
Butter/olive oil
1 x 545 g packet (or similar size) of frozen petite pois peas
1 x vegetable stock cube 
I pint water
Good pinch of rock salt 

 
Chop the leek finely and rinse.  Place in stockpot or large lidded pan, grate the raw potato and add, together with a knob of butter and a good splash of olive oil.  Sweat over a low heat with lid on, Stir from time to time taking care not to brown the leeks, for about 5 minutes, and then add all the peas, the crumbled stock cube and the water.
Bring to boil, then take heat right down and simmer for around 30 minutes to ensure the potato is cooked.  Remove from heat and using a hand held blender (or if you have a separate blender) whizz it smooth and check that it is the consistancy you want.  I added a little more water and stirred again.  Now taste!  if you like it, off you go.  This is the point I add the salt as baby peas are a bit sweet for me.  Return to heat and bring up to simmer again, after which - Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early One Morning - Virginia Baily

I was attracted to this novel purely by the cover (as I suppose this is meant to happen!) and it has very little about the contents on the b...