Saturday 4 May 2019

Garden Colour - a quick spring tour

Persecaria - the very smallest one I think.  I have several in different sizes and colours.
   I took a quick whirl round the garden to show you what was about this morning.  It's sunny and cloudy by turns and the wind is cold, but there are all sorts of lovely things to share.

Ephorbia -I have several of these, too.  I love this loud lime green.



Ajuga Reptans "Braunhertz", common name Bugle - it had struggled to show itself in a small bed which needs completely digging out this year as it's full of brambles.  In the same bed is a rose with a spreading nature (Nuits de Young) and I must save that - dark dark red with an overpowering smell - a really old rose.




 Here are two of the four acers planted together to make a shady little grove.  It's surprising what you can get into a 100ft plot to make it interesting!


 This is my current favourite - these iris, planted three years ago, have grown from a little patch producing 3 stems last year (and slugs got 2 of those before flowering) to this.  I reckon at least 40 blooms this year and what a colour!  Obviously happy here surrounded by egg shell and pistachio shells (and of course not much wet  weather so no slugs currently).



 And below is a miniature lilac -possibly Syringa Meyeri Palibin - it has a weeping nature, and this is only 3 ft high with a spread of around 4ft  after 15 years.  Not much perfume either, but a joyful spring blossom and this year is it's best ever.

Tree peony which I though I had lost..... just two buds this year and only one flowered.


  
Two silver birches, one an upright, 16 years old and over 20 foot high..... and for the very first time hundreds and hundreds of catkins (usually about 50) It was beautiful until a gale force blast took the entire lot off overnight.  The other is a slightly different form and only about 4 years old.  I feel I must plant trees to eat the carbon monoxide.... we live on a main road, and anyway, people are always chopping down bloody trees and not replacing them.


 And finally an oddity.  From a dozen Alium bulbs, planted 5-6 years ago, this is the one and only flower.  And no, nothing ate them - all the green comes up, the stems just don't form so I felt lucky to get this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Early One Morning - Virginia Baily

I was attracted to this novel purely by the cover (as I suppose this is meant to happen!) and it has very little about the contents on the b...