Friday 14 July 2017

Large Skipper sighted in my garden!

Highslide JS Photo © Peter Eeles


I found one of these little fellas on my washing yesterday in the sunshine, and sent a message to my butterfly expert, "Ian of Weymouth" asking what had I seen?  because if you look closely you will see that the formation of the wings is unusual, sitting on top of each other rather than one below the other.  He sat for about ten minutes at eye level on a white pillowcase - what a joy to be able to observe him.  I went back several times to have another look because ancient as I am, I had never ever seen one before!

So.  He is a Large Skipper, genus Ochlodes, family Hesperiidae 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early One Morning - Virginia Baily

I was attracted to this novel purely by the cover (as I suppose this is meant to happen!) and it has very little about the contents on the b...