Tuesday 28 March 2017

The Spring is Sprung....

My  Mum, who has been gone a very long time, pops into my head from time to time, unannounced.  I had not thought about this little rhyme for some years now, but my Mum used to say it on the first day of spring every year when I was small.

What is it?  Where does it come from?  And where would a little country lady who knew no Americans and only left the country once in her life get this from?  And it sounds as though it should be said in a New Jersey accent......

The Spring is sprung
The grass is riz
I wonder where dem boidies is?

They say the boid is on the wing
But that's absoid
Because the wing is on the boid!

Answers on a postcard please.........!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early One Morning - Virginia Baily

I was attracted to this novel purely by the cover (as I suppose this is meant to happen!) and it has very little about the contents on the b...