Saturday 25 May 2019

Checkered skipper or not? Butterfly in a Dorset garden May 2019


Chequered Skipper (upperwing) - Gilles San Martin 
This is a Checkered skipper and I cannot find a picture of any small brown butterfly that looks more like this from it's markings both under and on top.  However, the furthest south his has been re-introduced after a total failure is Rockingham Forest which is nowhere near the coast in west Dorset.  So.....? 
 
I didn't take this pic, and I never have a camera with me when I spot something interesting.  I took note of this little fella because the underwing markings were very pronounced which is often not the case.  However, those markings were darker than the Checkered Skipper pics I gave found,  So did I see this, or just something very similar?  By the way, it wasn't a moth.

Anyone?

1 comment:

Early One Morning - Virginia Baily

I was attracted to this novel purely by the cover (as I suppose this is meant to happen!) and it has very little about the contents on the b...