Sunday 9 June 2019

Music - Collecting and Disposing of same! 1. A little touch of Schmilsson in the Night

 I'm on a roll!  I'm sorting out and disposing of things I no longer want and this includes music.  Collecting stuff for so many years, I find there are lots of albums (vinyl and CD) that I no longer want to listen to.  Many of these were bought when I was running 4 quiz nights a year in a place I worked.  They were great compilation albums for quiz rounds like "Name the Intro"  "Where does this guitar riff come from?" and so on.  But I don't need them now, and most can be had for a few quid on the Internet - so I am sending them to the charity shop and maybe someone else will find pleasure in them and the charity shop will make money.

But guess what I found?  I found that I don't like noise but I do like music!!

I like, in no particular order, a good voice, or a good interpreter of a song, or a brilliant musician, or a brilliant tune, or clever lyrics; and I got to thinking about desert island discs..... which records I would take?  But it's hard to break down the music you love into ten only, especially when the entire album is a stroke of genius.



Here's one I have come back to again, and again - A Little Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night - Harry Nilsson.  I can't choose a track - I'd have to take the whole album.  It was never a best seller, yet here it is, wonderful as ever and one of my forever favourites.  When someone asked Michael Buble why he kept singing "old" songs, he told them that they were not old, just good.  That's how I feel about  Nilsson's interpretations on here.  Go on, give it a listen.

And then, you might like to listen to another couple of albums -

Borderline - Ry Cooder (completely different but just as wonderful)
Mi Tierra - Gloria Estevan (and never mind that it's sung in Cuban Spanish... just open your ears).

I think I'll make this a regular post - and you can always suggest albums to me - I will listen and comment, honestly!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Early One Morning - Virginia Baily

I was attracted to this novel purely by the cover (as I suppose this is meant to happen!) and it has very little about the contents on the b...