Saturday 3 March 2018

Lapwing sighting February 2018 (following the snowfalls)

Seen today on grass surrounding car parking area of farm shop about 1 mile north of Bridport we saw a lapwing 


Image result for lapwing bird pics
My! a handsome bird with a lovely cry, but I have never seen one of these in my life before. Somerset Levels seem to be a common overwinter spot... I wonder if he got blown about a bit in the Siberian winds last week?   I don't live on farmland, and although our town is small, it is of course an urban area.  Love his jaunty hairdo and his "peewit" call - and what a treat that was.  Numbers declining due to  change of farming methods, but you can find out a lot in the link I showed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early One Morning - Virginia Baily

I was attracted to this novel purely by the cover (as I suppose this is meant to happen!) and it has very little about the contents on the b...